Lockpicking legal in France?

This is our foreign language Lockpicking forum. Here you can talk with like-minded people from all over the world.

Moderatoren: Retak, Crocheteur

Antworten
Kotzikacki
Haudegen
Haudegen
Eigener Benutzer Titel: ASSA Liebhaber

Lockpicking legal in France?

Beitrag von Kotzikacki »

Hello Guys,
as I am a quite young lockpicker and I'm still at school, I'm going to a student exchange soon. I will be in France for 10 days and I'd like to carry a lockpicking set and some of my locks to get not so rusty in terms of picking skill.
But now I need to know of it's legal to have lockpicking tools and use em on my own locks in France.

I assume it's legal but I want to be 100% sure.

I hope you can help me out.

Best regards,
Kotzikacki

MartinHewitt

Re: Lockpicking legal in France?

Beitrag von MartinHewitt »

If you want to be 100% sure you should ask a French lawyer.

Kotzikacki
Haudegen
Haudegen
Eigener Benutzer Titel: ASSA Liebhaber

Beitrag von Kotzikacki »

But I have no access to a French lawyer..
Otherwise I wouldn't ask.

sgronf
Mitglied
Mitglied

Beitrag von sgronf »

Hello, as long as you pick your own locks (or if the owner allows you to pick the lock), it's legal.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCo ... e=20040310
L'effraction consiste dans le forcement, la dégradation ou la destruction de tout dispositif de fermeture ou de toute espèce de clôture. Est assimilé à l'effraction l'usage de fausses clefs, de clefs indûment obtenues ou de tout instrument pouvant être frauduleusement employé pour actionner un dispositif de fermeture sans le forcer ni le dégrader.
This article defines the legal meaning of the word "effraction" (breaking-in, einbruch).
"Effraction" is usually a circumstance that makes another crime more serious.
Of course this law is only valid when you are not allowed to break this "dispositif de fermeture" (locking device), so basically when it's not your lock.
It would be absurd to not let you break your own padlock if you lost the key.

Lockpick tools would be here:
Est assimilé à l'effraction l'usage de fausses clefs, .... ou de tout instrument pouvant être frauduleusement employé pour actionner un dispositif de fermeture sans le forcer ni le dégrader.
translation = Is assimilated to "effraction" the use of fake keys, ... or any tools that could be used fraudulently to operate a locking device without forcing it or alterating it.
Beside the fact that we are speaking about the "use" of a tool, you could also argue that a lock or a padlock that is not installed to protect something is not really closing anything. (If you meet annoying people, you consider here that a "dispositif de fermeture" is not the lock but the installed lock.)

So lockpicking is legal and the possession of the lockpicking tools is legal tool.

However (!), in function of the circumstances, if the police controls you in France with some lock pick tools, they may dislike the fact that you have lockpicking tools (if they understand what the tools are). If they suspect something illegal, they allowed to investigate and for example control if you carry a suspicious amount of valuables but this will be function of your answers, your behavior, circunstances + other possibilities. If they confiscate the tools, i think (!) that they should theoretically give your a receipt for that and give you a legal basis to explain why they do it. (They may go faster in reality).
They may confiscate everything that looks like a knife (this include of course "padlock knives" but also some shapes of picks, especially if they are sturdy), because you are not allowed to carry knives in public.

If you carry lockpicking tools, i strongly suggest to put them in a place that is hard to reach and that makes the tools hard to use. It may save you some troubles.

I know at least one french website that sells some picks [not everything] to individuals and it is, i think, a proof that it is really legal, but this is my very first message, so if you look for it, you will find it.

Tatort20
Benutzer
Benutzer

Beitrag von Tatort20 »

Well if you use your own locks there should not be a problem but to be sure contact legal national advice in France on google

schlossknacker94
Neuling
Neuling

Beitrag von schlossknacker94 »

Tatort20 hat geschrieben: 17. Nov 2020 16:35 Well if you use your own locks there should not be a problem but to be sure contact legal national advice in France on google
I agree with Tatort20! There shouldn't be a problem if you use your own locks. Did u google the topic? I'm quite sure you can find something on the world wide web ;)
Schloss und Riegel: kennzeichnendes Werkzeug von Zivilisation und Aufklärung.

Antworten